Take Home Points on TMD
TMD has no specific cause in many cases and the risk factors are broad, ranging from traumatic, anatomical, to psychological causes. Often times conservative treatment is the first course of action, as the symptoms are often muscular (Greene 2001; Dworkin 2002; Michelotti 2004; Michelotti 2005; Clark 2008). Physical therapists are movement and muscular specialist and one the main aides in improving TMD. Unfortunately, the research on physical therapy treatments is scattered, as various exercises and manual therapies are performed in different trials. Luckily, exercise and manual therapy are effective, but finding the most effective manual and exercise therapy is necessary (Michelotti 2004; Magnusson 1999). A recent study by Moreas (2013) reviewed the whole body of exercise based TMD treatments and made the following recommendations based on different types of exercise.
Stretching — Muscle Length
Coordination Exercise — Muscle Timing
- Moraes AR, Sanches ML, Ribeiro EC, Guimarães AS. Therapeutic exercises for the control of temporomandibular disorders. Dental Press J Orthod. 2013 Sept-Oct;18(5):134-139.
- Carlsson GE, Magnusson T, Guimarães AS. Tratamento das disfunções temporomandibulares na clínica odontológica. São Paulo: Quintessence; 2006. p. 9-23.
- Greene CS. The etiology of temporomandibular disorders: Implications for treatment. J Orofac Pain. 2001;15(2):93-116.
- Dworkin SF, Turner JA, Mancl L, Wilson L, Massoth D, Huggins KH, et al. A randomized clinical trial of a tailored comprehensive care treatment program for temporomandibular disorder. J Orofac Pain. 2002;16(4):259-76.
- Michelotti A, Steenks MH, Farella M, Parisini F, Cimino R, Martina R. The additional value of a home physical therapy regimen versus patient education only for the treatment of myofascial pain of the jaw muscles: short-term results of a randomized clinical Trial. J Orofac Pain. 2004;18(2):114-25.
- Michelotti A, De Wijer A, Steenks M, Farella M. Home exercises regimes for the management of non-speciﬁc temporomandibular disorders. J Oral Rehabil. 2005;32(11):779-85.
- Clark GT. Classiﬁcation, causation and treatment of masticatory myogenous pain and dysfunction. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2008;20:145-57
- Magnusson T, Syrén M. Therapeutic jaw exercises and interocclusal appliance therapy. Swed Dent J. 1999;23(1):27-37.
- Marbach JJ. Temporomandibular pain and dysfunction syndrome. History, physical examination,and treatment. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 1996;22(3):477-98.
Dr. John, DPT, CSCS