How to Schedule Your First Visit and What to Expect
1. Find an open time that works for you and schedule your initial appointment using our Appointment Widget below. You will be asked to create a free account that can be used for all future appointments. You may also call us at (408) 905-6483 to schedule an appointment.
2. Please arrive at your appointment with your intake and waiver paperwork completed. Please complete it online if possible.
3. We will copy your insurance card. More information on the insurance providers we accept can be found below.
4. You will be seen for the injury screen by the physical therapist.
The therapist will perform a systematic subjective evaluation, conversing on the following topics:
• Your current problems, aches, and pains.
• Pain intensity, what aggravates and eases the problem.
• How often you feel your discomfort.
• How the discomfort changes during the day.
• If you’ve seen any other medical professionals and your experience with them.
• Your medical history.
• How this is impacting your daily activities or your functional limitations.
• Your goals with physical therapy.
• Medications, tests, and procedures related to your health.
The therapist will then perform the objective evaluation which may include some of the following:
• Palpation – touching around the area of the pain/problem. This is done to check for the presence of tenderness, swelling, soft tissue integrity, tissue temperature, inflammation, etc.
• Range of Motion (ROM) – the therapist will move the joint(s) to check for the quality of movement and any restrictions.
• Muscle Testing – the therapist may check for strength and the quality of the muscle contraction. Pain and weakness may be noted. Often the muscle strength is graded. This is also part of a neurological screening.
• Neurological Screening – the therapist may check to see how the nerves are communicating with the muscles, sensing touch, pain, vibration, or temperature. Reflexes may be assessed as well.
• Special Tests – the therapist may perform special tests to confirm/rule out the presence of additional problems.
• Posture Assessment – the positions of joints relative to ideal and each other may be assessed.
Unlike other facilities, we don’t overly test our patients, especially on their first day, ensuring no soreness or worsening of symptoms.
At the end of the session, the therapist will provide an analysis of injury risk and provide guidance for reducing the current injury risks.
COR Injury Screen Philosophy
A COR Injury Screen takes a full body approach helping find solutions to many problems preventing many from doing what they love. Our full body integration helps discover any muscular imbalances which may be increasing your risk of injury. This is the ultimate goal, to make you better. In fact, our motto is “making you better”.
In today’s World, it is imperative to take the initiative for your own health. In Medicine, we get annual physicals, but these physicals neglect how the body moves! Injury screens take a proactive approach and identify an injury before it happens.
You should be skeptical when you hear these claims, as talk is cheap. “Making you better” isn’t only our motto, but our philosophy. To prove this, we offer a complete money-back guarantee for your first physical therapy session if you are not satisfied.
What Should You Bring to the COR Injury Screen?
Please bring the following to each visit:
• Comfortable clothes, allowing the therapist to access the area (and surrounding areas) being treated. We suggest a t-shirt and shorts.
For example, if you have a knee problem, it is best to wear or bring shorts. For a shoulder problem, a tank top or sports bra is a good choice, and for low back problems, wear a loose fitting shirt and pants, again so we can get to the area and perform a thorough examination. If you’re not sure, please call us and ask.
Cost and Insurance
Injury screening isn’t billable through insurance and is a cost of $50. If you currently have an injury, please schedule a physical therapy appointment.
Location of the Injury Screen at COR
3530 Lochinvar Ave. Santa Clara, CA 95051
Our Physical Therapists
Dr. Erin Cameron, DPT, CPT
In 4th grade, when asked what she wanted to be when she grew up Dr. Erin Cameron, DPT, CSCS replied “physical therapist,” a rather unconventional response for a child that age. She was a young swimmer with shoulder pain, desperate to return the to sport that she loved so dearly. The dedication of her physical therapist allowed her to pursue her passion and eventually go on to compete at the collegiate level.
While swimming at the University of Michigan she studied to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Movement Science from the School of Kinesiology. During her collegiate swimming career, she earned the following accolades: two-time CSCAA Honorable Mention Scholar All-American, three-time Big Ten Distinguished Scholar, team captain and the Michigan Leadership Academy Leader of Distinction award.
Erin has dedicated much of her life to the sport of swimming. In addition to competing in the sport for 15 years, she has coached at various elite swim camps and clinics growing her expertise in stroke technique and video critique. She has also served as a volunteer staff member for Division I, II and III swim programs aiding in both coaching and developing exercise programs/educational sessions for upper extremity injury prevention.
Erin received her Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine. During her time in physical therapy school, she developed a special interest in treating patients with a broad range of orthopedic injuries and promoting general health and wellness.
Dr. John Mullen, DPT, CPT
Dr. John Mullen, DPT, CSCS is a World renowned expert and speaker in sports training and rehabilitation. He received his Doctorate in Physical Therapy at USC, as well as the Josette Antonelli Division Service Scholarship, Order of the Golden Cane, and the Order of Areté.
Dr. John has done extensive research on orthopedics and sports and has worked with multiple professional and Olympic athletes, helping them earn Olympic medals.
Dr. John has been featured in Gizmodo, Motherboard, and many more. Before his Doctoral program, Dr. John swam on an athletic scholarship at Purdue University, was an Academic Honorable Mention All-American, and was awarded the Red Mackey Award and R. O. Papenguh Award. Dr. John was born in Centerville, Ohio and was a 24-time high school All-American Swimmer. Dr. John is still a swimmer and holds a Masters swimming World and Pacific Swimming Record.
A no-show or late cancelation fee (less than 24 hours notice before the session) results in a 100% penalty of service ($100 for physical therapy).
Helpful Resources and Frequent Questions
Q? How long will each screen last?
A. We’re able to provide a full screen of ~15-minute treatment sessions minimize patient cost and maximize efficiency. On your first session, please complete ahead of time the paperwork or arrive 10 minutes early.
Q? How often should I get an injury screen?
A. We find best results with quarterly injury screens. However, for very active individuals and athletes, screens each month provide the best results.
Q? What types of guidance will I receive?
A. There are dozens of different suggestions you may receive. Some may include
Specific Strength Exercises – if a weakness is determined, the therapist may provide a specific strength exercise to address this limitation.
Mobility Exercise – if an area is tight or lacks a proper range of motion, a specific mobility exercise can improve this impairment.
Q? Why is an injury screen a good choice?
A. Injury screening is able to predict injury risk through specific questioning and movement analysis. If you would like to avoid injuries, injury screening is an effective method of being one step ahead of an injury.
What Others Have Said About COR:
- Arkady, 2x Olympic MedalistI'd like to thank COR helping me with a shoulder injury I was dealing with for 6 months and I was amazed how quickly my shoulder pain was going away.
- Sourabh, San JoseI would highly recommend COR, because of the following reasons:- 1) Dr. John is the best EVER 2) The atmosphere is very positive 3) Staff and management of COR is extremely professional If you are looking for the best place for rehabilitation and sports training, choose COR.
- Carol, SunnyvaleCOR helped my back go from excruciating pain to being able to hike and exercise again. I can't thank COR enough! If you're in pain, this is the first place to go!
- COR provides great workouts for all levels. I regularly attend one of the boot camps and have also used the physical therapy services. The workouts are adapted to meet your goals with a focus on building core strength at the beginning. The physical therapy is top notch; you won't find anyone better than Dr. John and Dr. Erin. It's a friendly place and Chris makes the 5:30am boot camp fun.Shirley, Sunnyvale
Everybody at COR is very professional and knowledgeable in their areas. I usually go to a boot camp with Chris and had some physical therapy sessions with Dr John. My family get personal training and physical therapy as well. I have been a member of boot camp from the very beginning. There are many members like me at COR. You will find not only the best service but also the best community for your mental and physical health.Jo, Sunnyvale
- Sri, SunnyvaleCOR is without a doubt one of the best things I have done for myself. I started COR 5 years back and since then I have pushed myself both physically and mentally to limits I could not imagine and I certainly have reaped the rewards. Dr. John, Chris and Mike are amazing, they encourage you every step of the way and they are so passionate in everything they do. With their help I am constantly re-evaluating and re-setting my goals to lose body fat and train harder to do events like Spartan race and half dome hike and marathons. Above all, COR is a community of people who support and encourage each other. It is fun to be part of COR group. Over the years this group have become my best of friends and part of my family.I recommend COR to anyone who wants to take the first step towards fitness or anyone who wants the challenge and push their limits, COR is a perfect place for you, where you are heard and helped by experienced coaches to set goals and successfully do it.
- Felicia, 6x NCAA ChampionCOR really knows how the body works and after working with them, I had my best NCAA performances.
- George Bovell, 5x Olympian and Olympic MedalistCOR knows how to help World Class athletes feel better quick and efficiently, they are the best in the business.
- Kaila, Santa ClaraI'm from Chico, California. I got to school at Santa Clara University where I'm studying marketing and retail studies. Some of my interests are hiking, kayaking, and watching Survivor. I love fitness because I love the feeling it gives me after. I always did distant running throughout high school and some through college. After I got injured, I searched Physical Therapy clinics near me. Once I came here, I loved how nice and personal everyone was and how they listened to me about my injury. In the storm term, I just want my leg to feel better so I can start running again to clear my mind. In the long run, I'd love to continue to do marathons again.
- Sharron, Santa Clara
Dr. Erin Cameron is great, very helpful, knowledgeable and entertaining!! Shoulder pain was gone at the competition of physical therapy sessions.
- After undergoing ACL and meniscus reconstruction 7 months ago, my hopes of returning to my previous swimming form were faltering. When I first came into COR 3 months post-op, my main source of frustration was the fact that I felt as though my doctor and the other physical therapists I had been seeing had inadequate knowledge of the subtle biomechanics and physical demands of swimming. Whereas they were primarily concerned merely with the return to everyday life and sport, Dr. Mullen shared my goal of coming back even stronger than I was before. I especially appreciated the fact that he was also able to provide me with insight on ways to improve my performance not directly related to my knee. Overall, I'm glad my knee injury brought me in to see him, because he has really impacted me with lots of new insight on my swimming. Plus, the front desk has made my experience as convenient as possible; they're always very helpful in setting up my appointments via email, which is a huge plus!Michael, Walnut Creek
I got a serious back pain last fall. During my visit to COR, Dr. John Mullen was very nice and professional. He gave me not only a professional treatment, also teach me how to exercise and reduce my symptoms. I had recovered soon after his treatment. I would recommend COR.Jennifer, Los Gatos
I had really damaged my left and right knees from years of volleyball playing and skiing. I hired Chris Barber to help me work through my left and right knee pain for the last two years. I worked out twice a week with Chris and also try to do similar exercises on other days. My knees are not 100 percent recovered but now I can jog and ski without injuries. Rather than doing surgery, I would recommend hiring Chris to help you strengthen your knees.Laura, San Francisco
- Over the past 4 years, I have come to COR to see Dr Mullen for physical therapy and worked with Chris and Mike for personal training. With these 4 years of experiences, I can absolutely say that COR is the best. They are expert at what they do. Everyone at COR is friendly and you always see big smiles the moment you walk into the door. Dr. Mullen treated my shoulder issues and knee/hip injury caused by running. He quickly identified the problematic muscle groups and explained why I was having the pain. He corrected my running posture, gave me routines to warm up and warm down the specific muscles, and assigned simple exercises that focused on strengthening these muscles. I was able to get back to my normal routine quickly and also know how to prevent the injuries from happening again. Currently, my daughter and I have regular personal training sessions with Mike. Mike is full of energy and smile. The workouts are hard but fun. He pushes us to our limit but he always keeps an eye out for the correct form and posture so we are doing the exercises correctly, efficiently, and without risking injury. After the hour is over, we are sweating and tired but feel great. As a bonus, Mike is a climber. There is a thick rope attached to the ceiling and he can teach you to climb. It's yet another way to make the work out fun and interesting. Last but not the least, my daughter attended the COR summer camp a few years ago run by Chris. She always came back tired but had tons of fun. And she was always looking forward to going back the next day. If you are looking for a physical therapist and/or personal trainers, I highly recommend you come to COR. You will not only find that your injuries and training needs are well taken care of, but you will also find some new friends there.Wayne, San Jose
I have been getting PT for a pulled hamstring for a couple of months now. John has been outstanding! The deep massage therapy he does has really relieved nearly all of the pain and he is also fun to talk to! He follows up the session with PT exercises that really seem to have helped build up strength in the right areas as well as stretch stuff in the right places. I would definitely recommend him and COR.Diane, Santa Clara
- I would highly recommend COR to anyone looking for a great workout, friendly community and/or very knowledgable physical therapy. As a previous collegiate swimmer, and current open water swimmer, I've had consistent shoulder pain throughout my career. After trying to treat myself (without much education) and failing, it was time to commit to physical therapy. I've been receiving physical therapy treatments from Dr. John Mullen for this ongoing shoulder pain and can honestly say, these sessions have SAVED my shoulder and posture. With the insight and wisdom of CORs physical therapy sessions, I am now pain and stress free during my workouts and sitting all day at work. Not only am I pain free, I am able to use the knowledge that was provided in my sessions as self encouragement on a daily basis. COR is an open, friendly place where I always feel comfortable and treated with respect. Now that my shoulder is healed, I look forward to taking more of the bootcamp classes!Katey, San Jose
- Let's start off with saying that I'm a bit bias because the staff at COR makes you feel like family. And it's hard not to love family. Here's the usual breakdown (+1) Dr. Mullen is very knowledgeable and truly cares about his patients and boot camp attendees. It's nice knowing that this is one of the few truly health-centered "gyms" I've been to. It's reassuring that techniques practiced have some scientific method behind them and not just propelled by the latest kale-eating-gluten-hating-raw-organic-money-makers. (+1) COR is friendly to people of any shape and any fitness level. I've met Olympic level-swimmers, fellow college students, and retired housewives who all have something to gain from this quaint gym. (+1) The boot camps are a blast! We do a wide mix of activities ranging from injury prevention to power lifting to cardio to fun workout "games". (+1) The instructors are amazing at fixing technique and monitoring form (health and safety at the CORe of it all!) (-1) Although there are other classes besides bootcamps, I wish there were more time-slots available for each class. It's still a smaller studio so a ramp-up in class availability would be great! Overall, it is a great, loving, and accepting group of athletes (all of us are athletes despite how fast we can go!) that will keep you engaged and motivated. NOTE: This is NOT a gym with ellipticals and treadmills. it is a place where you will sweat, laugh, (maybe cry) but ultimately come out feeling stronger and healthier.Olga, Cupertino
Dr. John helped me recover from my arm injury over the course of a couple months. Dr. John, as well as his intern and the staff, were all very nice, and I looked forward to every session. Highly recommend this place for physical therapy. I found out about this place through Yelp reviews, and I give it a definite 5/5, for anyone trying to decide where to go to get physical therapy.Kyle, Santa Clara
Dr. John helped my daughter to fix her knee injury through physical therapy. We went to other places but didn't get much help. After participating the High School strength training program, my daughter fully recovered. Thank you Dr. John and Chris.George, Cupertino
John helped me to get back to normal physical activities when I was recovering from issues with my neck disks. He guided me step-by-step in building my muscle strength, and along the way he did manual adjustments of my spine when needed. It was a very rewarding and fun experience. I got my strength and confidence back, and I am very happy with the results. Thank you Dr. John!TK, Santa Clara
I have spent the better part of two years relying on Yelp to help me locate the best places in the south bay, but I have yet to leave a review. However, I feel that COR is certainly worth some words of recognition. I spent a good two months researching fitness programs in my area before I signed up for COR. The first day I walked in the door, I knew I had made the right decision. Both Coach Chris and Dr. John are incredibly knowledgable, and design workouts that are safe as well as effective and challenging. I came to COR with multiple rotator cuff injuries, and both Chris and John have provided me with the individualized attention I need, even while in a group setting. The other COR members keep me laughing throughout my workout, and I have met some truly wonderful people during my time with the group. Everyone was incredibly welcoming, and the comradery between the bootcampers has made my experience that much better. Dr. John and Chris not only get us in shape, but work hard to facilitate the COR community, with hikes, social gatherings, and even the occasional half marathon challenge. I am so grateful that I found COR, and I encourage anyone who wishes to make positive changes in their life to come check it out!Julia, Santa Clara
I've been a part of COR for more than 5 years now. In that time I've been able to get into great shape at boot camp, see Dr. John in PT to help me through a back problem, do one on one personal training with Dr. John, then start training with Coach Chris and a group of friends, and bring 3 other family members into COR for PT with Dr. John and Dr. Erin. COR has become like family. I wouldn't go anywhere else for a physical therapist or physical trainer!Pilar, Santa Clara
Following a gym muscle strain in my lower back, I walked in a 80 year old man and after a single session I walked out at least 40 years younger. Dr. Mullen @ COR helped diagnose my issue without an expensive MRI and got me back to normal life of late night conference calls.Timothy, San Jose
- COR is effective. COR is for the entire family! We came to John when our 11-year-old daughter got a labral tear in her shoulder...and then an MCL tear in her knee. Dr. John Mullen has done an excellent job addressing both the physical and mental side of our daughter's injuries in a way that is age appropriate. John utilizes the best techniques for both pain management and rehabilitation including - soft tissue massage, laser therapy, e-stim, ultrasound, taping, and strengthening. He is extremely knowledgeable and is engaged in the latest research on sports injury and injury prevention. In treating our daughter John reached out to communicate with her Orthopedic specialist, swim coach, and school to ensure she had the best possible comprehensive recovery plan. As a mother, I am grateful that he sees and addresses our daughter's disappointment and fears regarding her injuries. He seems to know when she needs a gentle touch and when she needs a hard push. Other reviews are correct in saying that COR is like family. John & the COR team really care about the well-being of their clients. I was so impressed with John's approach with my daughter that it occurred to me that he might actually help me with my constant neck pain. So, I made an appointment following my daughter's and instead of sitting watching him treat my daughter, she sat and watched him treat me! Beyond soft tissue massage treatment, it was very helpful to talk through what I was doing throughout the day that made it worse/better and then make changes to my behavior. John also prescribed a realistic exercise plan that even I could follow through on while watching The Late Show with Steven Colbert. The pain is finally under control! AND the best part about COR is that they promptly deal with insurance. This seals the deal for me.Robin, Menlo Park
- We appreciate quality physiotherapy services provided by COR. Thanks to the dedication and care shown towards treatment and care. Thanks for being part of our lives.Anish, Cupertino
- Yes, dr. Erin was totally awesome.I really appreciated her help and I would totally recommend her for any physical therapy thanks.James, Santa Clara
- I am super stoked I found this place. The front desk staff is unbelievably nice and so helpful. Dr. John was phenomenal! Very professional, explained the process and I left feeling great!Madelynn, Santa Clara
- COR support staff is warm, helpful friendly and efficient. COR Professional Staff is highly experienced, professional but personal at the same time and I always feel as though I am in good hands. (Literally!) You may use my full name: ArLyne Diamond, Ph.D.Arlyne, Santa Clara
- I work as a PT in a hospital setting and had been trying to treat my ITB pain on my own and bouncing ideas off of CO-workers, but the pain persisted when I tried to get back to running. I was picky about selecting a PT but was very pleased with John. The 1:1 appointments provide quality care. The treatments he prescribed were targeted and efficient. I’m thrilled to be running and doing speed work again!Sara, Santa Clara
- Michael is great with young kid and caring and enthusiastic towards his work out routines.Kent, San Jose
- Great staff very knowledgeable, improvement was immediate.Marketa, Santa Clara
- I had an uncomfortable low grade sensation down my arm for a few weeks. Massages, hot and cold baths, yoga, and exercise did not help. I met with Dr. John Muller for 30 minutes and my problem significantly went away on our first visit. I was uncomfortable 95% of the time and now I’m uncomfortable about 2% of the time. I’ve received PT services from other agencies for other alignments in the past and did not get this kind of results. Thank you COR!Khristine, San Jose
- The team at COR are outstanding!! Dr. John is a caring professional. He takes the time to understand his patients, provides excellent care, and committed and flexible with scheduling. We couldn't be more pleased with our results!Brenda, Los Altos
- Bill, Santa ClaraDr. John Mullen and everyone in the office is very attentive and helpful in providing effective physical therapy rehabilitation treatments and exercises. Being an avid swimmer, I'm especially thankful for Dr. Mullen's knowledge and experience with shoulder ailments, and the relief I have gained as well as new strengthening techniques. I highly recommend COR!
- I have been a member at COR for over three years. I am grateful I found this group. We are like a big extended family. We often do activities outside of the gym together. Those activities are not just exercising but social as well. We spend a lot of time laughing together. Chris, Mike and John create workouts for all fitness levels so you are always challenging yourself. It always amazes me to see the progress my friends make with their workouts.Tammie, Sunnyvale
- I have been going to COR for 6 years for boot camp. Dr.John and cor team is excellent at whatever they do. Boot camp exercise are bit intense but continues coaching and form corrections encourage one to continue with the routine. It's a fun place and besides boot camp feels like a community. I would highly recommend it for boot camp and physical therapyAmit, Cupertino
- By far the best of physical therapy and personal training. I couldn't be happier with my results.Michelle, Santa Clara
- COR definitely stands out from the traditional physical therapy facility. John and Erin really care about improving their patients and helping them get back to whatever sport or activity they are working back towards.Johnie, Santa Clara
- This is a great place for both your medical conditions as well as group workouts. I first visited @COR when I had an ankle sprain. I was treated by Dr. Erin and Dr. John, both of whom are experts in this field. What makes COR special is the care and attention you get from your doctor. After completing my sessions I joined COR fitness classes which are in a group workout format. It's similar to CrossFit except for the risk of injury. I train with Coach Mike who is exceptionally brilliant at the coaching. I would recommend this place if you are looking for recovery from injuries or love working out in groups.Dhananjay, San Jose